Shabby blogs

Monday, January 19, 2009

Guess What's in the Garage?

You will never believe what I have hanging in my garage. An entire bison carcass, halved at the waist (do they have those?) and dry curing - ICK. I would post a photo, but I am afraid that I might get kicked off of Blogger for doing so. I am not one that likes the gutting/skinning/killing process. Generally, I go hide in the ranch house and cook something so that I am not accused of wimping out - those big tough bison slayers need something to eat when they are done, right? So, imagine my horror to find a whole bison hanging in my garage!! Imagine my even greater shock to find that Brad wants to butcher our animal himself this year (don't even ask WHERE that is going to happen because I won't tell you!) because he wants to understand the cutting process better in order to better inform all of our bison customers. Isn't that nice of me - I mean him - to make that sacrifice? We do live in hunting capital here and have friends who have been harvesting and cutting their own game for years. I have been told that they will help us through the process which is really nice, because I like having round roast that really is a round roast and not something random...like my thoughts. And if you think of it, pray for me - I have a feeling that I'm not getting out of this one so easily!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't post any pictures! I can't wait to get elbow deep in really COLD (makes your hands hurt) meat, EVERYWHERE! Not because I love the processing your own meat thing, but because I want to see your face and hear your voice while your kitchen is transformed into a butcher shop! It's going to be fun!

Karen Dunham said...

Glad you are excited! :) Also glad that you are in this with me! Yikes!

Jessica said...

Sounds like another great memory-making time. Just a little different that hymn sings though... ;)

Kelly said...

Oh that's just really gross. Brad showed me a picture this afternoon of the carcass hanging on his engine lift. Although, it can't be worse than having a pig in your bathtub can it??? ;-)

Karen Dunham said...

Nope, the pig in the bathtub tops it all. I still cringe when I think of that. This is just a carcass - that was a whole, dead pig. eewww.

MaryAnn Ashley said...

Just in time for dinner...

Anonymous said...

So what has happened to the bison!?

-Mrs. B in MO