Shabby blogs

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Wylds


We just watched The Wylds last weekend. The movie, made by local film maker Andrew Wiest here in the Flathead Valley, is sort of a modern, loosely adapted version of Pilgrim's Progress. It stars Solomon Ray (Crystal Lewis' son; their daughter also was involved and wrote the end song). I knew it was an independent, small budget film and, although I thought it would be decent, I wasn't expecting anything incredible - films are tough to do without a big budget. Also, I knew there were some weird sci-fi/special effects scenes that made me skeptical. I was totally impressed - we all loved it. The script, the acting, the special effects and the filming were exceptional. It is one of the very best low budget films I have seen to date; WAY better than the films that have won a certain high profile, Christian film festival that many of us are familiar with! ;) There was none of the "cheesy factor" that often exists in lower budget films. It is even more impressive knowing that most of the actors were locals. One thing that I didn't care for was that Evangeline (Evangelist in the real Pilgrim's Progress) was a female preacher. I think that kind of limits the film's market and might make some people stay away. Although that is contrary to scripture, and I no way agree with that interpretation, I totally enjoyed the film and would recommend it to anyone. It is nice having movies that the entire family can watch and enjoy together. And imagine - right here in little 'ole Kalispell.

No comments: