Shabby blogs

Monday, February 7, 2011

Morning Dunham Smoothie

I have been making a morning smoothie a lot lately. Mostly because it is a great way to get your vitamins (I have made my own vitamins in an herbal tincture over the past year, but I also have the same "formula" in a powder and can easily blend it in a smoothie. That'll have to be another post). I have certain non-vegetable likers who really need the greens and vitamins too and this is an easy way to get those to them. Here is our current recipe (well, I haven't actually measured anything - that's just how I cook):

1 1/2 - 2 cups frozen fruit (we use cherries and apricots from our trees this past summer)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (Brown Cow, Cream on the Top)
1 -2 cups fresh baby spinach (Costco, glorious Costco)
2 T orange juice concentrate (the kind with no garbage in it)
about 1-2 T raw honey
1-2 heaping T flax seeds
1-2 heaping T vitamin powder (I make my own, but it is very similar to More Than Alive Superfood. Or you can buy all of the individual herbs there and make your own.)
about 1/16 - 1/8 tsp. of cayenne pepper (depending on who will be drinking it)
enough water to make it all move in the Vitamix

If it isn't sweet enough you can add more OJ concentrate or a little more honey. Yes, it is kind of brownish green, but no one here complains - it tastes that good!

2 comments:

Peggy Sue said...

Non-vegetable likers? Is that the right way to say that? What is a non-vegetable exactly. I'd like to find out if I like them or not too! :)

Karen Dunham said...

Hahaha. Hm, I guess I should have said vegetable haters or vegetable not likers or my picky people who hate anything that even remotely resembles green (except Starbursts, m&m's and skittles) or maybe vegetable hating eaters, or my non vegetable-likers (kind of like non smokers). anyway, that's what I meant. ;)