Shabby blogs

Friday, January 29, 2010

Homemade Yogurt

We own a share in a friend's cow and so we pick up raw milk each week. Sometimes we get surplus milk (extra that won't last long) and if we aren't going to finish it all before it goes bad, I make things with it; buttermilk, kefir. Last week, Paige gave me some packaged powder starter and I used the recipe on the back and the package. I made 1/2 gallon and it turned out great - nice and thick just like store bought. This week, I decided to try it again using a Sue Greggs' recipe and 4 T from last week's yogurt batch as my starter. It turned out just as thick as the batch with the commercial starter. Woo-hoo! It was so easy too....in winter, you can just set the 1/2 gallon jar next to the wood stove to culture overnight - perfect. Not sure what I'll do in summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I so glad it worked! Props to you!

The summer time can be tricky for yogurt-making (w/out a wood stove) but here's what we've done (and it's always worked for us): heat the oven to 200 degrees; once there, turn it off but leave the oven light ON. Place the yogurt in there and shut the door. Incubate for 4-6 hours