Shabby blogs

Thursday, March 20, 2008

reading list revisited

Well, the problem with loving to read and even making a reading list, for me, is that inevitably I find other things taht I want to read instead of my original list. I didn't do too well for Feb. Although I am making up and reading those books this month, but that means that I am not reading my March books. I am almost done with "The Heart of Anger" by Lou Prioli and it is outstanding. It addresses the issue of evaluating and then responding Biblically to every problem and situation that we face ourselves. He THEN runs you through teaching our kids to respond Biblically. It has changed the way that I communicate with my kids becuase I am constantly evaluating both my and their responses. There is a great section on manipulation techniques (not how to use them, but how to spot them and respond to them). It has been eye opening. I can spot a lot of manipulation techniques as they come up , but didn't realize how often I respond to them instead of bringing the communication right back to the Biblical standard. I sometimes answer the question or respond to the spouting off instead of bringing the kid back to "you are being rude, and I will not answer your question until you come back to me with a compleley respectful attitude" or "that is not the issue, the issue is that you are being disrespectful" (can you tell what issue we are dealing with here????!!!)
I also read another book instead of one that I had on my list for Feb. It was called "I Don't Read my Bible Enough" by Ron Smith. Ron and Judy Smith are in charge of the YWAM (Youth With a Mission) base here in Kalispell and they have started bible training schools all over the world. They are great people that we met through the ranch. It was a quick, easy read and I enjoyed it. Ron gives an easy, encouraging path to Bible reading and study. Did you know that it takes only 5 minutes to read all of I John? And less than 5 minutes to read some of the smaller NT books and even some minor prophets in the OT? Ron quotes statistics aobut how few Christians actually read their Bibles regularly and also explains that because of knowing the Bible he was able to stick to the truth instead of believing the liberal-minded philosophy that he was being taught in SEMINARY!!
So, I am not really on track with my list, but I am reading!! And wishing that I could read more. I spend days thinking about reading....isn't that crazy? I still need to read "Salad Bar Beef" from Feb. and my two listed for March (sigh) and I'm not sure how that's going to fall out, because I just got "John Adams" by David McCoulough at the library and it is looking pretty thick!! I think that my problem is that I love books. I really do love them. I have passed the same obsession on to my kids! This is funny, but one of the things that I miss most about San Diego (other than my friends of course), is the Friends of the Library Bookstore!! We bought many a steal for 25 cents......my kids would rather go there than the candy store! So many books; so little time!!

No comments: