Shabby blogs

Monday, March 11, 2013

Latin Funnies


On the first day of Heritage classes this year, I was sitting outside Mrs. Miller’s Prima Latina class and about laughed myself silly overhearing some of what was going on in there.  I was not laughing at her teaching, but at her amazing ability to exercise self-control in the face of hilarity - she has a whole class of 5-6 year olds.   Better her than me. 

I had written these down when we got home from classes, but had forgotten about it.  Here are some highlights:

The kids were asked to give their name and something about themselves that they wanted to class to know:
“This isn’t my actual hair.  My hair is really straight and sticks out like this”    So, he had a wig on, eh?  I couldn’t see around the curtain but I was dying to.

“My favorite color is black, white, red and yellow”

“My favorite color is camo” (true Montanan)

Other notables:
There are a set of twins in the class, so regarding twins some comments ensued, “they are born at the same time; one comes out and then the other and they just ‘bloop’ right out together” (um, nope.  No blooping at all.  obviously SOMEONE has never been in labor!)

Mrs. Miller – “who knows anything about Latin?  What people speak Latin now?”  student: “you!” (observant! She IS the teacher!)

Have any of you studied ancient Rome?  “I’ve studied American Indians!”

“I changed my name and I want you to call me my new name.  Eric-kai.  Hm. I wonder if his mother knows?? His name isn’t even Eric.  

No comments: